Shortness of Breath
What is Breathlessness?
Breathlessness is nothing but shortness of breath. In medical terms it is also called as dyspnea. It is a frightening sensation and it is caused mainly due to various cardiac disorders.
What Causes Breathlessness?
Mostly Breathlessness occurs due to cardiac or lung disorders and sometimes combination of both.
Some common causes of breathlessness are:
- Cardiac Tamponade (Excessive Fluid around the Heart)
- COPD – Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease
- Heart Attack
- Heart Arrhythmias (heart rhythm problems)
- Heart Failure
- Pneumothorax (collapsed Lungs)
- Pulmonary Embolism (Blood Clot in an artery in the lung)
- Sudden Blood Loss
- Upper Airway Obstruction (Blockage in the breathing passage)
- Pleural Effusion
- Cardiomyopathy (Problem with Heart Muscle)
- Pericarditis (Inflammation of the tissue around the heart)
- Pulmonary Edema (Excess fluid in the lungs)
What are the symptoms of breathlessness?
The symptoms vary depending on the condition. At first you might become breathless when you are doing some physical activity. In time you might be breathless even when sleeping and sitting down. Some common symptoms of breathlessness are:
- Difficulty catching your breath
- Noisy breathing
- Very Fast, Shallow Breaths
- An increase in your pulse rate
- Chest Pain
- Skin that looks slightly blue, Especially around your mouth
- Cold, Clammy Skin
- Panicky Feeling
Shortness of breath is related to numerous cardiac diseases and the treatment for each condition varies. So, initially doctor will do some evaluations like:
- Peripheral Doppler
- Cardiac MRI/Coronary CTA
Once after the cause is identified your doctor will provide the medications
Why we are best
We @ Advanced Cardiovascular Care diagnose the condition that cause breathlessness and they will design the best plan to relieve your symptoms as well as treating underlying cause. Call Advanced Cardiovascular Care Center today for an appointment or use their convenient online scheduling service.